Happy December! Can you believe it? Before you know it, it will be Christmas day. In the meantime, half the fun is the countdown! We made this chalkboard advent calendar to help keep the excitement going all month long. Here’s how to make your own…
– A metallic charger. You can find these at most craft stores for just a few dollars.
– Chalkboard paint. We LOVE Rust-Oleum’s Black Finish Chalk Board paint.
– A paint brush.
– Chalk (and a paper towel!).
– Alphabet stickers.
1. Gather your supplies. Make sure the charger is clean and dry before painting.
2. Paint the center of the charger with chalkboard paint. Let dry completely.
3. Prep the chalkboard. First, rub chalk onto a paper towel.
4. Gently rub the chalk-covered paper towel onto the chalkboard paint.
5. Add stickers! Say whatever you’d like. We had enough random stickers to spell out “Countdown to Christmas,” but you can also say “Days until Christmas,” “Christmas is Coming,” “Santa Claus is Coming to Town,” or anything you’d like!
6. Use chalk to start your countdown. Each day, wipe the number away with a wet or dry paper towel and write the next number.
We displayed ours on a pretty black easel in the foyer (that fabric garland tutorial will be on the blog soon!). It’s so exciting to see the countdown each day! It’s no advent calendar full of candy, but your kids may still fight over who gets to write the numbers each day. 😉
Here’s Cooper posing with the countdown plate like the majestic beast he is…
…aaaand here he is looking awkward.
Eek! We can’t wait until the plate reads a number like this!
We hope everyone has a wonderful first day of December! Happy Holidays!